Friday, March 25, 2011

Train up a child in the way he should go ...

Earlier this month we went to register Kayliegh for school. It was a bitter-sweet moment. It's hard to believe she is old enough to start Kindergarten. She is so excited. Her face lit up with joy as we walked through the halls of the school. I've been going over in my head how I will feel the first day I drop her off.

Tonight I was talking to a neighbor and she informed me about all the moral issues that our children face today (which don't get me wrong, I'm completely aware of this) and about how the school system isn't helping the moral upbringing of our kids. I want my children to know that it is okay to speak the name of Jesus, it's okay to pray for your lunch in front of other students, and it is okay to say "in God we trust" or "one nation under God." Besides, it's because of God that we even merely exist. The Bible says, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." I want my children's #1 goal in life is to love Jesus with all their heart, soul, and mind, and I'm hoping that even at their young ages I am instilling that in them. Then, I realize, my child is going to be going to a public school soon and how much harder will that be when the "world" is contradicting what I try to teach her. When the world is against Jesus and peers will be questioning what she believes and why she believes it. When peers will tell her there isn't a Jesus and speak of someone different, like Budda. Or when peers talk about the Koran instead of the Bible. How in the world am I going to keep her on the path of righteousness. The more I think about sending her to school the more I'm scared.

So, over the next few months I am going to be eagerly seeking God's guidance on the situation. Private schools is out of the question with our limited income, so at this time the only other option is homeschooling - which is a process I don't even know where to begin. I know I can't take her out of the world and it's wickedness, but I want to do my best to preserve her little heart and her love of Jesus for as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment