Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Helpful Hint - Straining Hot Broth

Over the past few weeks I've mentioned on more than one occasion about the frigid temperatures here in the South that need to go.

Which means I've been cooking a lot of soups, chili, and stews. It's been food that makes you "cozy" according to a handsome 6 year-old. 

One day last week I made homemade chicken noodle soup. I normally use chicken breast, but I found legs and thighs on sale so that's what I used to make my broth. That means that once the chicken was all boiled there was a lot of "brown yuckiness" from where the chicken had boiled around the bones, y'all know what I'm talking about, right?!?

Well, I needed a way to get that stuff out or I knew that handsome 6 year-old would have something to say about it. I don't have very many kitchen savvy utensils that make things easy. So cheesecloth wasn't an option. A strainer with exxxxtra small holes wasn't an option. Basically, I have nothing. Ha. So thanks to Google I came across this: Straining grease from hot liquid. and IT WORKED!!! (I had to change the coffee filter twice, but I had a huge pot of broth. It also wasn't as time consuming as I thought it was going to be.) 

1. Mason jar and lid ring.
2. Coffee Filter.
3. Place coffee filter on top of jar and add ring to hold in place.
4. Ladle broth in slowly and watch the filter catch all the junk.
5. Discard filter.
6. Strained broth.

Pretty simple a mason jar and a coffee filter! Yay!! I had both. I love drinking my sweet tea out of mason jars and I love coffee, so it was a match made in heaven. 

We had wonderfully delicious chicken noodle soup and not one complaint! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment